Saturday, May 4, 2013

Women in Religion

In coming to Loyola, there are two things that I have learned that have ultimately resonated with me the most: 1) New Orleans is a very diverse city, full of unique and vivacious people, and, 2) Women are often oppressed in every aspect of society.  While we covered the first point extensively in our examination of numerous different religious affiliations, I also began to take note of the role women took in religions.  In each of the places that we visited, I realized that each one had a male pastor or minister.  Even in progressive religions, such as First Church of Christ, Scientist, I found that the First Reader was a male, while the Second Reader was a female.  The First Reader explains the significance of the passages read throughout the ceremony while the second reader merely reads from the Bible and sits idly by.  I find it fascinating that people do not look at this huge issue.  Women are overlooked in religions.  In Hinduism  they are expected to kill themselves when their husbands pass away.  In Christianity women are expected to "honor" men, and the famous creation story of Adam and Eve taught that Eve was made from Adam in order to keep him company.  Women have always been second to men, and I find it interesting how this plays out in New Orleans, such a diverse city.

No comments:

Post a Comment