Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Different Perspective to New Orleans




A Different Perspective to New Orleans

            I was born and raised in New Orleans. But when I reflect on my childhood, it felt like I spent my youth elsewhere. I never really got the chance to know the city and its rich culture. 
           
While I was growing up, my parents were always there. My parents were very traditional and their words and actions expressed this. When I was born, my parents had been in America for more than fifteen years. But for my parents, fifteens years in America hardly did a dent to their traditional persona. My parents had a hard time adjusting to an American lifestyle. My routine as a child consisted of church, school, and food. I was hardly ever given the chance to adventure outside of my normal life. I have been met with more opportunities to explore the city, as I grow older. Being now in college, I feel like its my obligation to get to know the city and its culture better. Everyday is a learning experience for me. I come to know of better places to eat, places to visits, or places to avoid.

Hopefully in this course I can come to know New Orleans and its background a little better. I was raised as a Catholic and I understand that New Orleans is immersed in religion. Whether it is faith in a God or faith in entertainment, I feel like its an important aspect to the city. I want to learn more about religions outside of Catholicism. Its not like I am a doubtful Catholic, but I don’t want to be ignorant and ignore all other religions. A decision is not worth making if the options aren’t fully available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment