Saturday, January 26, 2013

Our Lady Prompt Succor


I was born and raised a catholic in St. Mary Magdalene parish. Ever since I can remember, at the end of our prayers we would say “Our Lady Prompt Succor, Pray for us.” But I never knew why. The reason why dawned on me in class last Thursday. Our professor said that Our Lady Prompt Succor is the patron saint of protecting New Orleans. This is because she interceded during the Battle of New Orleans. During the time of the battle, the British were trying to take the land from Andrew Jackson and his troops.  A group of people prayed to her for a Jackson victory before the battle began, and she answered their prayers. Therefore she protected New Orleans from being sacked by the British, becoming our patron saint. I find it interesting that such a powerful and caring saint is protecting a holy city like New Orleans.  
Photo courtesy of Google

No comments:

Post a Comment