Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini


Mother Cabrini
As I was cleaning up trying to find my bracelet, I came across some New Orleans books my mom bought a few years ago. One of the books, A History of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, caught my eye. I flipped through some of the pages, and I found a page on Mother Cabrini. This particular Saint caught my attention because I attended Cabrini High School. Her story is really interesting for she was sickly as a child, and was told she wouldn’t amount to anything in life. Well those people were wrong.

Orphanage building

Mother Cabrini visited New Orleans for the first time in 1892, and joined the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. She later got funding and built her own orphanage on Esplanade Street. It was with her sisters that the orphanage was run. After her death, the orphanage closed and it became a school. The school later built a second building facing Moss Street. The school built on Mother Cabrini’s core values of respect, excellence, and service.  Without the great works of Mother Cabrini, I would not have the education I have now.

Going to Cabrini changed my life. I walked on the same land that Mother Cabrini did. Many of the students including myself claim that they feel a presence in her old room. She is not only a blessing in my life, but she is a blessing for all the young women who graduate Cabrini High. Even though I have graduated, I still try to live by her core values. What her school has instilled in me will forever be appreciated. God sent her into the world as a sickly child, but she left a strong woman.  
Cabrini High School Class of 2012

Mother Cabrini and orphanage building photos courtesy of Google

No comments:

Post a Comment