Friday, January 25, 2013

Congo Square

Congo Square

A Historical and Religious Meeting Place

I've discovered my growing interest in one of New Orleans' most historical of areas. Congo Square is filled with a religious and historical background that is a rich in culture and history as the city itself.

In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Congo Square acted as a place where slaves, and free people of color could drum, dance and practice religions freely. The square also served as a marketplace for slaves to sell and trade goods.

I am interested to see what a place so cultivated in history looks like in today's modern world. I find myself in need of a trip to Congo Square or the New Orleans African American Museum. This museum contains several exhibits on Congo Square as well as other important events involving slavery, and free people of color.

Reading further on Congo Square, I discovered that the square serves as a way to pay homage to it's past history. A music, and dancing festival titled "The Congo Square Rhythms Festival" is held there today and is keeping the spirit of the area alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment