Thursday, January 17, 2013

The New Orleans Second Line


Growing up in New Orleans has many benefits, including experiencing the culture and richness of the city. One of the cultures associated with New Orleans is Voodoo. When one hears the word Voodoo, they automatically think of scary dolls and hurting individuals through them. What people, like myself, do not realize is that it’s a religion. One of the activities of this jazz religion is the second line. Throughout life, I only thought of second line as an excuse to dance to brass band music with fancy umbrellas and napkins during the Mardi Gras season. It turns out that this is not the case. My professor called to my attention a couple of classes ago that the second line was part of a funeral. When someone died, they would mourn on the way to the cemetery. After the person was buried, the second line would rejoice to celebrate the wonderful life that person lived. She also pointed out that the gesture in which they wave the napkins means respect. I now find the second line history very interesting. Growing up in the environment of New Orleans, I never questioned the origins of the joyful dancing line. Now knowing the true meaning of the second line, I get to enjoy and really understand the significance behind it. I cannot wait to further learn about the different customs of the jazz religion. 



No comments:

Post a Comment