Friday, January 18, 2013

The Culture of New Orleans

One of my favorite things about New Orleans is just driving down St. Charles and looking at the immense amount of churches and cathedrals just within a five minute drive. I remember pulling up to Loyola for the first time and looking right next to the school and seeing a synagogue right by a Catholic Jesuit university. I wasn't in the least bit surprised because knowing the history and the amount of diversity of New Orleans I knew there would be a little something for everyone.

I was raised in a house where religion wasn't forced upon me, but I decided to take it on anyways. My mother is Jewish so therefore I practiced Judaism growing up. I wasn't extremely devout, but I did attend temple here and there. I feel like growing up in Houston is such a different experience than to that of growing up in New Orleans. Honestly, I don't think any other place is like New Orleans.

I believe it would be accurate to call New Orleans one huge melting pot. The history of the city and the history of the religion of the city are so rich. I feel as though the city as a whole is so diverse in everything, not only in religion and history but in the culture as well. Everywhere you go you'll see all types of people, and that's what I love most about this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment