Saturday, April 6, 2013

Hurricane Katrina

Above is a satellite picture of Hurricane Katrina courtesy
of Max Mayfield's Hurricane Blog

New Orleans is located in southern Louisiana.  The city is below sea level, which has caused more and more problems recently.  I have visited New Orleans many times because my extended family lives here.  In 2005, I spent most of August in New Orleans with my grandparents.  As a child, I always cherished my time in such a different world from my home, so I always counted the days that I had left in this exciting new city so that I could cherish each day properly.  This is one of the things I remember most about that August of 2005, the year I had to go home early.  I remember things becoming hectic and on edge around the house as my grandmother packed my things early and sent me off a few days before the hurricane hit. Once I got home, my mom explained to me what a hurricane was and that one, Hurricane Katrina, was heading straight to New Orleans.  The weeks after the hurricane were the hardest, because the cell phone towers were down and we could not get in contact with my family.  Up until we heard back from my grandparents telling us that everyone was okay, my mom had my brothers and I pray.  She had us pray for the people of New Orleans along with my family.  She explained to us that everything happens for a reason, but some of the worst things that happen in this world do not always make sense.  This did not mean there was not a reason.  She also taught us that it was not punishment from God, rather something that had to happen, and the United States needed to learn to unite and care for all of its people.  This was how we approached the devastation of Hurricane Katrina; we were sad and scared, but we turned to God to help us through the stress and prayed that people would find they help they needed.  In all, my family was very optimistic about Hurricane Katrina, and I still remember this time vividly, seven and a half years later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment