Saturday, April 13, 2013

Reform Judaism

Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise
Since I have to visit the Touro Synagogue, I decided to do some research on the branch of Judaism that was practiced there. Touro Synagogue is a reform Jewish temple and at first I knew nothing about this branch. I've done some research about it and from what I learned it is a more modern approach to Judaism. It was founded over 125 years ago by Rabbi Isaac Mayer.
The laws, morals, and traditions they practice are the same as the other branches of Judaism, but they have several differences. One main, shocking difference is that they promote equality between men and women. The Synagogue actually has a woman Rabbi. This impacted me because I come from a Jewish family that practice their religion differently. Women and men are separated when praying and only men can be Rabbis.

"According to Rabbi Eric. H. Yoffie of the The Union for Reform Judaism:
  • Reform Jews are committed to a Judaism that changes and adapts to the needs of the day
  • Reform Jews are committed to the absolute equality of women in all areas of Jewish life
  • Reform Jews are committed to social justice
  • Reform Jews are committed to the principle of inclusion, not exclusion
  • Reform Jews are committed to a true partnership between the rabbinate and the laity." (About.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment