Saturday, April 27, 2013

ISKCON

For my religious visit, I went to ISKCON New Orleans. ISKCON stands for the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. This religion derives from Hinduism, and they praise their Lord Krishna through chanting and offering gifts. When we visited, they began by chanting and ringing bells. One might ask, "what do they chant?" The only thing that I recognized when they were chanting was their prayer. Like a Christian's Our Father, the people of ISKCON pray "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare" on their prayer beads. Throughout their chanting, they danced and gave all their attention to their Lord. This was an awesome experience because it allowed me to see a different type of praising. Instead of going to a mass like I do every week, I got to participate in a chanting ritual. Even though I was not that familiar with their Lord, I still got to understand their love and devotion to Krishna. 

Photo Credit: Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment