Saturday, April 13, 2013

Mary Queen of Vietnam


I found visiting Mary Queen of Vietnam to be a very interesting and new experience.  While it was very obvious that we were different and I felt our class being somewhat gawked at, I also noticed how kind people seemed to be towards us.  I really enjoyed watching how close-knit the community was, where so many people participated in the service, from the youth to the elderly.  I thought their songs were absolutely beautiful and I really appreciated how much they sang.  It was interesting to me that I know absolutely nothing about Vietnamese yet I could understand the mood of the songs and the service, from the more cheerful parts to the more serious parts.  I really enjoyed getting to experience such a new and different community and their melding of their Vietnamese culture and heritage with their Christian beliefs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment