Saturday, April 27, 2013

Van Hanh Buddhist Center

My visit to the Van Hanh Buddhist Center out in New Orleans East was a great experience as it allowed me to view religion from the perspective of a different culture. I'm not going to make this blog about a religious report because I would prefer to discuss it in class. Instead I wanted to share some of the pictures taken from my visit to give you all an idea of how different the place looks like.


This is a of a statue of Kwan Yin who is regarded as the female Buddha.



This is a statue of an unknown saint that stands near the entrance of the temple. Incense sticks and candles are placed next to the statue as an offering.


The interior of the temple. The Buddha resides behind the altar. Notice the pillows on the floor that are used for meditating. The small wooden podiums are where the Cau An scriptures are placed to be read aloud.




No comments:

Post a Comment