Monday, April 8, 2013

In addition to Sunday's Visit..

Relics of Vietnamese Martyrs on Display
Sorry guys for not being able to attend mass alongside the class. I don't know if you guys had time to walk and look around the church due to the brutal and time consuming trip. It wasn't so bad for me, I just attended mass and walked home :D. Anyways, the church has a little room in the back dedicated to Vietnamese Martyrs. I believe it was three or so years ago when the church made a request for relics, preferably Vietnamese relics. As a result, the church was able to receive these relics as displayed in the small room. I think the room is usually forbidden to enter, with exceptions being for special occasions for prayer and service. Well every November on some particular date that I cannot recall, the relics are removed and procession is made carrying the relics from a chapel to the church. Following the procession, a mass is celebrated in respect to the Martyrs. I haven't seen anything like it, relics being embedded to a cross. In addition, there is also a worn-out pair of shackles. Apparently Christianity was condemned in its early days in Vietnam. Many died while upholding their faiths. I have also found that an ancestor of mines was a martyr, according to my mother. You can find more pics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment