Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Gurdwara Sahib

The Gurdwara Sahib

Guru Nanak
        Sikhism was founded in the 15th century by Guru Nanak. Nanak was born April 15 1469 and died September 22 1539. Nanak was a Sheppard who became an accountant. At the age of 30 he had a spiritual vision. He disappeared for 3 days and upon his return did not talk until the next day. When he finally spoke, he said, " There is neither Hindu nor Mussulman (Muslim) so whose path shall I follow? I shall follow God's path. God is neither Hindu nor Mussulman and the path which I follow is God's." He said he had been taken to God's Court. There he was given a cup of nectar and a commandment "This is the cup of the adoration of God's name. Drink it. I am with you. I bless you and raise you up. Whoever remembers you will enjoy my favour. Go, rejoice of my name and teach others to do so. I have bestowed the gift of my name upon you. Let this be your calling" And from that day on he became a guru. 
       . The Gurdwara Sahib of New Orleans was built in 1994 and is where the Sikh Society of South holds there weekly services. The Gurdwara Sahib is located at 8433 Morrison Road and is based on the Sikh religion which practices 3 teachings: Vaṇḍ Chakkō: Sharing with others, helping those with less who are in need, Kirat Karō: Earning/making a living honestly, without exploitation or fraud,and Naam Japna: Chanting the Holy Name and thus remembering God at all times (ceaseless devotion to God). Their scripture is the Guru Granth Sahib which was written in Gurmukhi, an old Punjab alphabet

No comments:

Post a Comment