Friday, March 1, 2013

Calvary Spiritual Church

Picture of Calvary Spiritual Church

I found this really stunning picture of the Calvary Spiritual Church. It serves as only a remnant of the once more prominent spiritual church movement in New Orleans. There was not much I could find on the history of the church or the building for that matter. I would encourage someone in the class to try to find more information on the place. The picture however, to me, symbolically embodies what New Orleans religion is. The old, flakey white wood beams tell of a long, rough history and yet appear to be in such fragile condition that they could be gone any day. Ferns and vines that now slowly encompass the building seem to wish to devour it and yet again contradict themselves by exalting its beauty. This is clearly no ordinary church and I wish I could learn more about it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I didn't find your post years ago. My family and I were all Baptised in this church. The church had a lot of history in the Treme Area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great uncle, Rev Louis Reimonenq was pastor of this church

    ReplyDelete