Thursday, March 7, 2013

Voodoo Doll

When I went on the fieldtrip to Voodoo Authentica, I found something very interesting. They had many dolls that are believed to bring luck, fortune, good health, and love. The doll that caught my eye the most was the “Gamblin’ Man.” This one particular doll attracted me because my grandparents are always looking for a source of luck when they go to Mississippi to gamble. People claim that voodoo is all scary negative curses and black magic, but in reality it is not. This voodoo doll proves that black magic is really just a way to give a bad status to the Haitian religion as well as make profit off of the tourist. Instead of cursing people, the doll is actually there to help them.  In order to get the good luck from the doll, all one has to do is touch the “feathery head" and get ready for a big win. I found this really interesting because instead of the bad reputation they carry, the voodoo dolls are actually working for the better good of the people who practice this religion. To those that believe in the voodoo doll, they bring positive influences into their lives.   

No comments:

Post a Comment