Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Welcoming Reception


I thought it would be nice if I shared my reflection on the visit to First Grace United Methodist Church on Sunday. I apologize for it being a bit lengthy (it came out to be four pages in Word). I hope you enjoy reading it and I hope it takes up a good chunk of space on the blog! *Edit: I posted this before class and the notice about not posting the entire paper. So please don't leave hateful comments :D


A Welcoming Reception
            First Grace United Methodist Church, a church that resides on Canal and is home to a thriving community of worshipers. The church is the living embodiment of two racially distinct congregations. First United Methodist and Grace United Methodist was a predominately white and black congregation, respectively. The devastation of Hurricane Katrina led to the union of the two and as a result First Grace United Methodist was formed. The church’s simple and natural appearance gives off a reassuring aura. The interior of the church houses the congregation within its warm infrastructure. In addition, all the members wore the smile and warmth of a welcoming gathering. From the appearance to the members, I felt that I was welcomed at First Grace United Methodist Church.
            At First Grace United Methodist Church, I was under constant bombardment of great hospitality. Everything the church offered was welcoming in every detail and aspect. I appreciated every moment of their kindness. The members of the congregation were very welcoming and excited to have us as their guest. Personally, I have never been to a church outside of a Catholic Church. Almost everything about the church was new. Most of the Catholic Churches I attend are structured very orderly and the atmosphere is usually dense. At First Grace however, the atmosphere was very different. The service extended beyond the simple church and member relationship. The members of the congregation were actually a part of the service. Each member of the congregation served as the extension of the church. Everyone had the desire and passion to establish a perfect unity of peace. It was in this state of mind where I found that I was comfortable and welcomed.
            In addition, the music at First Grace served as the core in the welcoming atmosphere. Personally, the music stood out the most in terms of my new experience. The music at First Grace was very lively and rich. The singing was echoed throughout the church in the voices of its members and it rang alongside the upbeats of the drums. The drumming was similar to a pulse; it fueled and replenished each voice with its powerful rhythms. The clapping and swaying of the congregation helped the music to take on a physical form. The music reflected their minds and spirits. I felt that they could continue on forever, singing and dancing to their heart and mind’s content. Indeed it did so felt that way, as the music seemed to have no boundaries. The themes of the songs were constantly implemented over and over again. The endless cycles ultimately established a message; a message that spoke directly to the people. It was a message developed by the people and conveyed for the people. Participation in the worship was opened to all regardless their age, voice, or talent. It was a gathering where all were welcome to participate.
            Moreover, the presentation given by President Kimbrough of Dillard University practically summed up my impression of the church. President Kimbrough described the church as peculiar. It was peculiar in terms of the church being distinct and unique. For me such a term best described my impression as well. Coming from a strict Catholic based family, I was often found in the church. I lived only blocks away from the local church and it sort of became my second home. During the summer, I felt that church was similar to the attendance of a summer school. My parents worked the entire summer without breaks and that placed my siblings and I in the care of my grandparents. Living with my grandparents and the addition to living near the church, there was absolutely no excuse in my Catholic driven family for not attending. Honestly, as a kid spending my summer attending mass was not in my best interest. I grew to dislike the church, as I perceived it to be boring. As a normal kid it was an only a reasonable conclusion. As I grew older my impression changed, as I became more understanding of the church and its purpose. The process took eight years to develop and it only became possible with the work of my family and my attendance at a Catholic institution. However, I feel that my conclusion that I reached while I was a kid is the norm for a great majority. In my community, kids are forced to attend mass and their motivation for mass is lacking. This becomes a problem, as some kids do not grow out of this state. This leads to the development of adults that are not capable of living a proper and righteous life as a Catholic.
            On the contrary, the service at First Grace is not only welcoming but encouraging as well. Reverend Shawn brought this to my attention when he mentioned that the youth and teens come to the church out of their own will. He mentions that the youth comes to the church in search of a home. The church welcomes them and assures them that it is their place of belonging. There are mentors that are devoted in looking after them. When the youth comes to the church, they see the faces of their mentors. This struck me as something extraordinary. The church’s peculiar environment draws in the youth to develop in its presence. I am not saying the Catholic Church does not do a great deal to nurture the youth but the methods they employ are not as effective. At First Grace the youth are able to grow and relate to the church’s congregation and service.
            Overall, my experience at First Grace was an enjoyable one due to the component of a welcoming congregation. The diverse nature of the church reflected its rich history and culture. The music of the congregation thrives in the voices of its member. The members of the congregation are crucial to the service. Without the members, the congregation loses it value of unity. Some may argue that it is a hindrance due to its demanding necessity. But in the realm of religions, a strong and faithful congregation is the objective to obtain. The members have a responsibility to uphold their beliefs and morals and the duty to spread their message. At First Grace, the members do just that in their welcoming nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment