Saturday, February 23, 2013

Voodoo Dolls

I remember a brief discussion in class about Voodoo candles and their purposes. That led Dr. Wessinger to mention some shops in New Orleans that sells authentic Voodoo supplies. Usually when I  think of Voodoo shops, I immediately associated it with Voodoo dolls. I know its the wrong mindset to have since it has been commercialized as something sinister. Personally, I don't know a lot about Voodoo dolls beyond the famous image of the pin and doll. I looked up a neat article here, that gives a nice background and explanation to Voodoo dolls.


In a sense, Voodoo dolls can serve as an object of both good and evil. A practitioner of Voodoo implements that the dolls are capable working such phenomenons. A Voodoo doll that is mass produced holds no value in power. Typically Voodoo dolls are made with characters or traits in mind and are usually blessed with certain spells. Ultimately, the doll becomes a vessel that invites Spirits to act through.

No comments:

Post a Comment