Saturday, February 23, 2013

Catholicism and Mardi Gras Indians

A Mardi Gras Indian
The Mardi Gras Indians have always interested me, ever since I was a child and received pictures included in a box of beads that my grandparents would send me after Mardi Gras.  They always looked so beautiful, majestic even.  Since discussing it in class, I decided to do further research on the Mardi Gras Indians, at least to greater understand the tribes.  In class, we discussed how beautiful the outfits that the Mardi Gras Indians would don every Mardi Gras were.  I did not realize, however, that they also donned their costumes at one other time of year, the Sunday closest to Saint Joseph's Day.  This day is based off of St. Joseph, the Virgin Mary's husband, and his feast.  This is a Catholic holiday, and I find it fascinating that Catholicism not only found its way into African American religions, creating Voodoo, but also the Mardi Gras Indians rituals and traditions.  Both Uptown and Downtown tribes come together to create a very bright and colorful parade according to the Mardi Gras Indian Site.  I am very bummed that I did not get to see them this year, but I find their further religious involvement very interesting, and I plan on seeing them next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment