Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Creole Women of New Orleans

A Creole Woman of Color courtesy of the
19th Century American Women Blog

In Mary Gehmen’s “Le Bon Creole: Life and Customs,” I found the life of a typical Creole woman to be entirely fascinating.  Until this article, I did not fully comprehend that Creoles were often a broad term, used for both people of French and Spanish decent, as well as those of free people of color and their children.  I had always thought that people of color who spoke French were Creole before we spoke about it in class and then read it in the article.  I found it very interesting just how completely racist the Creoles were in New Orleans in the 19th century.  The fact that they were forced to show four records of baptism on either side of their family to prove that they were not Indian nor African by any means before they were married.  I have always thought of Creole as accepting, yet possessing a very rich culture. I find also find it interesting that there are sub-sects of the Creole race.  There are white Creoles and Creoles of Color.  I found it interesting just how different these two sub-sects are.  The white Creole women were essentially confined to their house, or to the indoors, while the Creole women of color were allowed to go out and to have a job.  I also find it very interesting that while both lifestyles are lead so differently, they both rely on one thing: the husband.  He must support both of his wives, which is mind boggling to me.  I wonder what the difference between the families are and how the man treats each woman and child.  I am curious as to how involved the husband is in each family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment