Saturday, February 23, 2013

St. Louis Cathedral

Cathedral Today
I have always been told that one of the most important buildings in New Orleans is the St. Louis cathedral. I never actually took my time to visit it or even research about it until now. It suprised me how interesting this place seems and it has a lot of history behind it. St. Louis Cathedral was built under the supervision Adrien De Pauger and its name was dedicated to the sainted king of France, St. Louis IX. Unfortunately, De Pauger died before he could see his cathedral finished, yet he was buried inside. It is really interesting because this cathedral has suffered so much. In fact, it went through a period of catastrophes like a huge fire that destroyed a great part of it.
Most sites I have wandered through, like this one, have all said that this building basically represents New Orleans and it is the one place everyone has to visit. I would love to go sometime and explore this cathedral further.

No comments:

Post a Comment