Friday, February 22, 2013

Lent


Since the Mardi Gras festivities are over, it is now the time of lent. Lent is the forty days before Easter. It represents the forty days that Jesus was in the dessert being tempted by Satan. Since lent is a time to meditate about the sacrifice Jesus made for us, Catholics around the New Orleans area make various sacrifices by abstaining from numerous things they love. As a whole Catholic community, we cease from eating meat on Fridays. People also make individual sacrifices like giving up soft drinks or their favorite foods. Currently I am personally abstaining from soda, candy, and fast food. This is a sacrifice for me because the only thing I drink is diet coke. I also love Popeye’s chicken as well as any candy. Even though I suffer headaches from lack of caffeine, it is all worth it because I am thankful for what Jesus has given me. He died on the cross for me, and I am showing my thanks by giving up these things for Him.   
Photo Credit: Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment