Friday, February 8, 2013

Mardi Gras Costumes


Me as a Maid
Mardi Gras is fast approaching, and many people will be dressing to represent different identities. In the early years of New Orleans, the African Americans were only allowed to practice their tradition together in the Congo Square. Mardi Gras and the idea of dressing up gave African Americans reason to celebrate outside of Congo Square. I got an opportunity to play the role as a maid to the king and queen of Rhea carnival club in 2011. When I say maid, one thinks of a house cleaner. The maids in the carnival clubs are those who stand with the king and queen as their support. Just as the king and queen get praised, so did I. The feeling of being dressed up makes your role a reality. That night I did not feel like a regular old teenager, but a member of royalty. I waved my hand and had a huge smile on my face. Playing a role that makes you happy and feel alive is what Mardi Gras is all about. Have fun and be safe this week! Happy Mardi Gras!


No comments:

Post a Comment