Monday, February 4, 2013

Congo Square


Ever since I have been thirteen years old, I have attended jazz fest. I love listening to the music, but what I like the most is Congo Square. I love walking around looking at all the jewelry and crafts. I also like to watch the African Americans dance as well as listen to the drummers. I always knew that Congo Square was related to the African culture, but I never realized that it was linked to the slaves in New Orleans. Since I have been informed of this relation, I have learned that in the late eighteenth century slaves could gather in the Congo Square. There they would play music, sing, and dance. This square allowed the slaves to keep their heritage alive, and that helps make New Orleans what it is today. I wish I could go back in time and see what the Congo Square was like, but I think that the jazz fest depiction of it is pretty accurate.    
Congo Square
Photo courtesy of Google

No comments:

Post a Comment