Saturday, February 23, 2013

New Orleans Cemeteries

What intrigued me the most in our readings this week was the fact that New Orleans is essentially one of the only cities in the world that is world famous for its cemeteries. I knew that the city has a connection with the after life and the dead, but I wasn't aware it was this strong.

Cemetery Tour Through the St. Louis Cemetery 
The thing that mostly intrigued me was the fact that there are walking tours for tourists. They're allowed to come in and take a guided tour on a grave site and walk among-st the tombs. I found this very strange/interesting because in my opinion I think its just a strange account to take a trip through a cemetery on a guided tour.

The above ground tombs in New Orleans cemeteries are referred to as "cities of the dead". So as people are taking their tours they're essentially walking through a small city of dead souls.

Then I finally came to the realization that it wasn't as strange of an act that I thought of before. After all, we're in New Orleans and the city is known for its connection with the after life. What better way would there be than taking tourists out and showing them something very distinct to the New Orleans culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment